Saturday, June 7, 2014

Fifth Pick? I'll Take It

                It was conflicting to be a Jazz fan last year. When watching the Jazz play, you could see the potential. While veterans Marvin Williams and Richard Jefferson (both of whom will likely be gone next year) held the team together, Favors and Hayward had a few All-Star-worthy games. Trey Burke and Alec Burkes took advantage of the spotlight and exploded in a few home games.  Enes Kanter played games like the lottery pick he was expected to play like back in 2011. The team played hard and had their own share of great moments, but they also had a 25-57 record. Utah is young and in need of experience. With a #5 pick in this year’s draft, there is opportunity to add more young talent to this squad.
                We all want Jabari Parker. He’s NBA ready. He’s smart. He’s athletic. And, like most people in this state, he’s Mormon. Parker would fit in great with Jazz. The fans would love him. The question is how we will get him in Utah. And, if the Jazz can’t get Parker, who would be good for Utah?
                The Cavs need a big man, so they will likely take Joel Embiid. GM’s all around the NBA are enamored by Andrew Wiggins’ athletic ability, so he’ll likely go second. Though the Sixers will likely take Jabari Parker at 3, I have a dream scenario that will get him in Utah.

Here’s how I wish the first 5 are going to go:
1.             1.)Cleveland Cavaliers: Joel Embiid (Kansas)
2.             2.)Milwaukie Bucks: Andrew Wiggins (Kansas)
3.             3.)Philadelphia 76er’s: Dante Exum (Australia)
4.             4.)Orlando Magic: Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State)
5.             5.)Utah Jazz: Jabari Parker (Duke)

This scenario only works if Philadelphia deems Exum as a better prospect than Parker and believes him to be capable of playing shooting guard or small forward. The Sixers already have 2014 ROY point guard Michael Carter-Williams (though there are rumors of a possible trade). The Magic need a good pick at point, so I believe they’ll go with OSU’s Smart over Parker.
The likelihood of the Jazz getting Jabari isn’t ideal. In fact, it’s a long shot. But, man, can you imagine? Jabari Parker is, in my opinion, the best player in this year’s draft. Check out his workouts. They’re insane. Andrew Wiggins may have the athleticism of a young Michael Jordan, but Jabari isn’t far behind. What’s more, he’s consistent. Jabari Parker is ready for the NBA.

Here’s a top 5 I would be satisfied with:
1.            1.)Cleveland Cavaliers: Joel Embiid (Kansas)
2.            2.)Milwaukie Bucks: Andrew Wiggins (Kansas)
3.            3.)Philadelphia 76er’s: Jabari Parker (Duke)
4.            4.)Orlando Magic: Dante Exum (Australia)
5.            5.)Utah Jazz: Doug McDermott (Creighton)

I really like Douggie McBuckets, and I feel that Salt Lake would be a great place for him to hang his hat—not because his clean-cut looks resemble an LDS missionary, but because Jazz fans like a guy that plays hard and can shoot the ball well. He may be a little older than the rest of the guys, but he can hang with them. After all, he averaged 26 points and 7 rebounds a game. I’m fully confident he’ll find a way to put up the same kind of numbers in the pros. He’s also got something the rest of this lottery class doesn’t have: a degree. I wouldn’t hesitate on a shooter with a good head on his shoulders.

Here’s how the first 5 are really going to go:
1.             1.)Cleveland Cavaliers: Joel Embiid (Kansas)
2.             2.)Milwaukie Bucks: Andrew Wiggins (Kansas)
3.             3.)Philadelphia 76er’s: Jabari Parker (Duke)
4.             4.)Orlando Magic: Dante Exum (Australia)
5.             5.)Utah Jazz: Zach Levine (UCLA) or Aaron Gordon (Arizona)

Honestly, I would be 100% satisfied with Utah drafting Zach Levine or Aaron Gordon. Levine’s rise from obscurity to national stardom was impressive last season, and Gordon is freakishly explosive. They are the two best prospects to come out of the PAC-12 this year, so Utahans are already familiar with them. Their work ethic will fit in with the culture, and they will both bring excitement to the young Jazz squad.
There are Jazz fans that are upset with the positioning in this year’s draft. I’m not one of them. A fifth pick is a great pick, especially in a draft as good as this one. Let’s take a look at history. Charles Barkley, Dwayne Wade, and Kevin Garnett were all 5th picks. Larry Bird was a 6th pick. And, in 1984, Utah Jazz great John Stockton slipped all the way to 16th. There is so much potential that comes with a 5th pick.
We also have to take into consideration that none of these guys have played basketball in the NBA. I’m not saying that they won’t perform well in the NBA. I’m saying they haven’t performed at all. It really irks me when I hear people say that the Jazz should get rid of Gordon Hayward to get Jabari Parker.  Though I love Parker and would love to see him in a Utah uniform, I wouldn’t trade a player that has already proven himself for a rookie. There is no way of telling who is going to be a star and who is going to be a bust. Just ask the Portland Trailblazers about Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.
I already have faith in this young Jazz squad. Hayward, Favors, and Burke are going to be stars. It’s only a matter of time. If they all decide to stay in Utah, the Jazz will be a powerhouse in the NBA. This year’s draft will decide who will join them in their quest for greatness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment